Thursday, January 12, 2006

"Blogging for Business"

This afternoon I attended a session called "Blogging for Business". I had the pleasure of meeting the famous (at least in Middle Tennessee) Brittney Gilbert of Nashville Is Talking, Rex Hammock of Rexblog.com and Nick Bradbury who created one of the most widely used news aggregators, Feed Demon. The session discussed uses of blogs as a business communication device, different uses of RSS and different tools available for blogging.

Seems Brittney has a sweet gig going on over at Nashville is Talking. She gets to blog full time. I think Brittney hit it right on that a large portion of time is spent reading. The company I work for now has a blog, something I like to think I was largely instrumental in. I do post to the blog but as of late have not had much chance to due to other priorities... If you are interested, I'll let you know what the url is but I'm not going to promote that blog here. This is not the forum for that. But my point was that it takes work, it takes dedication and it does take time and I think this is where the downfall of many companies that begin blogging will be. Tip of the Hat to News 2 for being a visionary and a thought leader.

Rex Hammock is a man with a wealth of experience on the subject. Seems he has been blogging since 1999, if I read my notes correctly. And, he is a very nice guy. By the way, I did extend an invitation to him to join us at the Middle Tennessee Blogger and Podcaster's Meet Up on Saturday. In case you don't know, it is BYOB (buy your own beverage).

Nick Bradbury was awesome as well... I confess to not having read his blog before but had no idea who he was. When I learned of the connection to Feed Demon I became giddy at having the opportunity to actually shake his hand! I'm sure when I spoke to him I must have had this really goofy grin on my face and the words that were coming out of my mouth must have made me look like a real country bumpkin but let me assure you, I am not.

I was reminded of a lot that I knew from having read Buzz Marketing with Blogs for Dummies and think that I learned a little more. One thing I would like to have learned more about was pushing rss out of regular web pages. I've got some ideas for the company I work for in that area as well as some podcasting ideas.

At the end of the session, all I wanted to do was ask for autographs... I'm such a geek.

Anywho, the Nashville Technology Council has some sessions coming up in February and March on Web 2.0 and Content Management Systems, which I might attend.

Tags: ; ; ;

No comments: