Saturday, August 5, 2006

Mudslides, Fires and Floods - Oh, My! Plus a Whole Bunch Of Other Things

I left my workplace in Brentwood yesterday to embark on my usually uneventful journey home to Smyrna. I work in a cube farm and can go an entire day without ever seeing the light, or darkness, of day. Yesterday was no exception.

I had heard it raining and thundering during my work day, they haven't managed to sheild me from that distraction yet... but never guessed it had rained as much as it apparently had. As I drove down Holt Rd. in Nashville I was met by a suprisingly large line of cars waiting to turn on to Nolensville Rd., as I was. I waited and waited and finally got my turn. I listed to the radio as I sat in my car and as I finally turned on to Nolensville Rd. to be met by yet another line of cars I hear over the airwaves that there are not one but two fires on Pettus and Burkitt. Oh, joy. Not only that, as I drove down the road I could see the flooding that was occuring as rivers of water flowed swiftly past houses and crept ever so close to a some.

Then if the fires and flooding weren't enough, there was a mudslide. Yes! a mudslide. Not one like you would see in California but enough of one to certainly cause a lot of trouble for Tennessee drivers and I drove right past it. The road was nearly covered in mud!

All these things occured on the same road and not in the same place. What a fun ride home.

Anyway, I want to say congrats to Wayne Blair for winnng his school board seat. He is one of my karate instructors. He is a very good man.

I'm off to take the kiddies to go do the school clothes shopping thing. Shopping brings out the yin and the yang of me. I both hate and secretly love to shop. If I could spend someone elses' money I'd be perfectly happy to shop. I might not even mind grocery shopping. Just don't mess with my money!

I'm off.

No comments: