Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Are we Google worthy or even ready?

I was looking up an article on Google News and started to wonder how hard it would be to get our humble website listed. We are a news service for this community. We produce original material and perform a community service.

But are we Google worthy?

I went to see how to get us listed and found this.
What are the technical requirements to be included in Google News?
Let's see.
1. Each of your pages that displays an article's full text needs to have a unique URL that doesn't change. We can't include sites in Google News that display multiple articles at the same URL.
We do have multiple articles on one page, but we also have individual pages for each article. I checked and found other blog based websites listed so I think we are covered in this instance.
2. The URL for each article must contain a unique number consisting of at least three digits. Please note that this number can't consist of only an isolated four-digit number that resembles a year.
Now this one worried me. The link for a This is Smyrna, TN post looks like this
http://thisissmyrnatn.blogspot.com/2006/09/get-best-gas-prices-in-town.html
I see the date, but they seemed to imply that it was not enough.

I looked at the link for the previously mentioned blog, Hammer of Truth, that was listed, and it uses a similar post/address system
http://hammeroftruth.com/2006/09/19/libertarians-should-be-good-shots/
It IS listed, so I feel that we might be ok on this one. I know we can change a setting in Blogger to create a number based link if needed.
3. Our robots can't crawl sites for which the URL of the main page changes on a daily, weekly, monthly or quarterly basis. This prevents us from crawling the site for new content, as we are unable to detect the most current URL to be crawled.
The main page stays the same here so I know we're fine on point three.
4. Our automated crawler is currently best able to crawl regular HTML links. We're unable to crawl image links or links embedded in JavaScript.
All links on this site are HTML, so once again we are looking good.

I did not submit the website to Google yet as I wanted your opinions on the subject. I think it would be a good idea. People doing searches for Smyrna Tennessee, will find up to date information and happenings. My main worry is that there might be an issue with the blog nature of the site. Would submitting one of the newer sites that M has acquired be better, or would the individual links with the blogspot address cause issues.

What say you people?

No comments: