Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Smyrna Police and I

The process to hire a new police chief has officially started.
Qualifications in the job description include:

A bachelor's degree in criminal justice, public administration or similar field (master's degree preferred).

FBI National Academy preferred.

15 years of law enforcement experience with 10 years in a managerial position. Five of those 10 years to be served at a rank of captain or higher, or with duties equal to the town's police captain position.
The position opened last year with the surprise resignation of the last chief.

Now the "I" part.

Looks like I will be going to my first night of the Citizen's police academy this coming Thursday night. It is being held at the fire station on, or near, the airport.

I found myself stuck between a small road trip and this academy. The town council and most of the department heads are planning on a retreat this Thursday and Friday. I had wanted to attend, and as I couldn't be at both places at the same time, I had to decide which one had the most to offer me.

I was inclined to go and watch as these items were to be addressed.
Among the items to be discussed are a possible ordinance requiring restaurants to require a no-smoking section, the community development plan and an ethics ordinance, which the 2006 General Assembly requires all local governments have in place by July 1. The rest of the time will be devoted to budget priorities, said Town Manager Mark O'Neal.
I wanted to hear more on the smoking ban and what is being done on it. I also wanted to find out more on the new ethics rules, and board as the subject intrigues me. Especially since I put my name in for a board. what are the odds?

I'll be going to the town council meeting tonight. I'll be getting a schedule of the retreat as my wife says I should still go. I could leave the academy and drive down to the retreat and catch the last part of Thursday and all of the Friday activities. Maybe.

No comments: