Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Ocean... in Smyrna?

I came across a huge mural here in town the other day. And being the "arts guy" for this blog, I thought I'd share some pictures I took this morning.



I'm sure many of you have passed this undersea panorama while on your way to the Post Office. Located on the side wall of "Four Winds Quality Spas" (http://www.fourwindsspas.com/index.html) at 251 Mayfield Drive, it's a huge piece of work and well worth stopping to see.



I tried to find out more about the artist and when this was painted, but was without luck. I left my card at the desk with the very friendly receptionist since the owner was unreachable when I dropped in. According to her, the building was previously a nuts and bolts factory. Which is a strange place to paint an image of the sea - but I'm glad someone chose to do so. And I thank the new owners of the building for keeping this monumental artwork intact.



One of the interesting things about this approximately 100' long painting is the fact that the muralist actually attached some 3D fish to the wall. As you get closer you notice that the Manta ray and one of the reef fish come out from the wall.



Neat!

Unfortunately, the sun and elements have taken their toll on this piece. The paint is noticeably faded and peeling in some spots. It's signed at the bottom with the name "Lee Cagle" and a phone number. Maybe I'll give him/her a call.



If anyone knows more, I'd love to hear from them.

-DG

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't there used to be larger 3d fish too. I thought that there was a whale or shark too.

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing the artist on the news a few years back telling the story about how sad he was that he had given the art to the community and then someone had stolen the large whale from the side of the building.
They couldn't figure out who and why and how, but they had taken it in the night.

David The Good said...

Interesting info.

It definitely hurts to have your art defaced... like losing a piece of yourself.

I wonder if there's an archived news story on it somewhere.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, wish I could remember more.
I was also fascinated with it, and it was weird to just turn on the news one night and see the story. Not even sure if the artis was from here or not.

Anonymous said...

The artist of this mural is my father. There was a large 3D whale but it was in fact stolen. If you are interested in speaking to my dad you can call me at 989-402-5323 and I'll give you his contact information. Thanks.