Monday, September 29, 2008

Sing Praise

I'm so glad I went by the Daily News Journals church calendar. Otherwise I would have missed such a wonderful event.
Saturday, Oct. 4

The Elders' Chapel United Methodist Church, 201 Front St. in Smyrna, will have Choir Day at 6 p.m. It will feature various choirs from the local area. For more information, call 615-459-6163.
Such a small announcement for such a wonderful event. I noticed the same announcement last year and went to listen. I posted the following.
Now I will admit a certain bias. When I think choir performances I think of George Frederic Handel's famous work Messiah(link goes to download site). "and he shall purify" is the part I enjoy singing along with the most. With a voice in the bass range I have the habit of following my wife who is a alto-saprano when she sings. For many years she was in a local performance in Franklin Tennessee. Thus when she practiced at home, I sing along with her...quietly.

When I got there they quickly got to the business of singing. Singing energetic spiritual songs that got people standing, clapping, and saying praise. Outside of one single time as a youth when I accompanied a friend to his mom's Pentecostal church one Sunday, I have never been really exposed to this form of religious choirs.

When I walked into the door I felt awkward as I do in most social setting, but quickly got comfortable and found myself singing along with a few of the songs. Several songs used a "call and repeat" form of singing, and even a tone deaf guy musically uninclined guy like myself found it easy to follow along.

After 3 hours of spirit filled music the night ended with a few words from a few members of the church. I am really so glad that I went and had the experience of music like this.
Unless I am physically unable to go I'll be there.

This is a great event, very energetic, musical, and one you should not miss.

No comments: