Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Final numbers

The election is over and here are the final numbers.
24.05% PAUL HITE JOHNS
22.88% TIM MORRELL
29.99% MARY ESTHER REED
22.60% JAMES YATES
0.33% WRITE-IN
0.08% WRITE-IN
0.06% WRITE-IN
A few comments on this election. James Yates lost and in a way that bothers me. You might remember a month or so ago that a few of his signs were vandalized. The idiocy of some people amaze me, so the fact that he lost and had his signs damaged taints the whole thing for him and bothers me. I hoped and wished that people were above that here. I'm not surprised, but I was hoping.

The campaigns were clean and they all ran a good election. I wish I knew how Johns got so many signs out so fast. I believe it was the Seniors center. A little something to keep in mind for later.

The liquor sales issue won.
55.86% To permit package sales
44.14% Not to permit package sales
Well it won if you were on the side to allow it. This was pretty much above board but even this was bothersome. One of the complaints against the organizers of this 'push' was that they were "from out of town". As if I give a rat's arse about where someone lives. That was a small town "keep out them out of towners" mentality that was so wrong to input into the issue.

I'm glad it past for the right reasons. Not taxes, but the right to make your own choices.

The election is over and now the town will sit back and start writing regulations on how to control the increase of the "russian vodka" that will soon wash our streets in blood....y maries. Small alcohol joke there..sorry.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I put in my write in vote for Gunner, a true Smyrna citizen if ever there was one.

Anonymous said...

Finally, born agains won't decide whether it's OK for me to buy something in my own town! Victory!

Serr8d said...

Yeah, I'm glad the liquor vote happened, and finally, passed.

But then, I'm from a state where one could walk into a 7/11 or a WalMart and buy liquor and wine.

We need to break up the liquor lobby's politician protection racket here in Tennessee. The most corrupt state lobbying force evah.

David The Good said...

anonymous #2:

Actually, this born-again voted to allow you to buy liquor. Not all of us hate freedom. :)

David The Good said...

Now if we could just get wine in the grocery store...

Anonymous said...

Being born again doe not point to a controlling nature or a puritanical spirit. Sadly it is the misaplication of personal views that create this problem...no matter what the religion is.

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's fair to marginalize born-agains, or even anyone who voted against package sales for that matter. They voted their conscience. Most of these folks are good people who mean well. They are just trying to preserve their religious and cultural heritage for their children and grandchildren.

Resistance to liquor sales is a time-honored tradition in many pockets of Tennessee that dates back to prohibition. It's a legitimate cultural issue. You can't marginalize those principles without marginalizing about half of Tennessee's citizens, or more than half of my family. LOL

While I understand where they are coming from and respect it, I do disagree. I voted my conscience as well. I just could not logically justify why it is okay to sell beer on every corner of town and still forbid package sales. Nor could I embrace the concept that allowing package sales was somehow going to drastically change the landscape of the town. A drunk will get just as drunk drinking beer as any other "spirit." Access is not a legitimate argument here.

Aside from tradition, I have heard no rational argument against package sales in a town that already sells beer and liquor by the drink. The town is changing. The demographics are shifting. Old traditions don't mean as much to newcomers. That's just a fact. If we want the revenue that growth brings, we kind of have to accept that it comes at the cost of some of our traditions.

David The Good said...

Well said. An issue of conscience is definitely to be respected.

Anonymous said...

Not born again of anything. I voted against it. I guess all those bad memories from when I lived in a city with a liquor store around the corner and what became of the alley and our street behind it.

GerryH said...

I found the vote for council seat encouraging, Yates lost my families vote (thats 4 of them) when he turned the council vote from approving a request for zoning change because the house could be seen from the historical distric. I understand he went further against the wishes of the people of Smyrna by moving that the house be included in the mini-commie state known as the historic distric.

David The Good said...

Yes. He lost my vote, and my wife's for that action too.

And I voted for him the first time.

GerryH said...

Yates had our vote the first time he ran as well. My family is very strong on our property rights stand. We firmly believe these rights are one of the fondation stones of our country.