Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A big heartfelt Thank You......


I am a new home owner as most of you already know and last month during a storm here in Smyrna we had winds that split a tree that is in the right of way near my back yard. The tree split where the big branches grew apart and it was just Entangled in another tree. These trees are a part of the old neighborhood and I hated to see this happen for I enjoy them in my back yard and they bring me many evenings of nice cool shade. Well I had called several tree removal services and they quoted me a high price which I could not afford at this time. One gentleman told me to leave it but since it was in the easement of my property I should try to call the city and ask them. Well I had already done this and the one lady told me it was on my property and I would have to deal it myself. I thought hmmmmm maybe I should just let it fall and see what happens. The cost to have it cut down would be the same as my deductible and why spend the money now? Well this morning as I was sitting on the couch I noticed a truck in my back yard and thought WTF! I went outside and this nice man told me someone from the city came out to look at this tree and they decided to have him cut it down at the city's expense. Why do you ask the city pay for it? Well the tree is hanging over the side street here and this street is very busy with people speeding up and down it and if the tree were to fall someone could be killed or even worse me! I sit in the back of the house most of time. I just want to take this time to say Thank You to the city of Smyrna of doing this and making things right. The tree is maybe one foot off the street as for the others that sit here too. The easement should be the city's responsibility and I am glad they saw this as a hazard. Once again THANK YOU!!!

5 comments:

Serr8d said...

A good thing they've done, yes.

You see 'trimmers' come all the way into your yard and butcher a tree if MTEMC (or NES, etc) thinks it somehow just might encounter a power line, so this sort of thing should also be in their purview.

Anonymous said...

haha, is that bungee cord holding it together??

mark said...

They had to put 3 safety ropes to hold tree as they cut it down becuase some of it could have hit the house and some could have landed in the street. The trunk of the tree is only 1 foot from the street. I was worried this tree would have fallen on car passing by. I have homeowners Ins to cover the damage here but not for someone on the street!

village farmer said...

As a fellow tax payer here in Smyrna, I'm glad to hear that the Town took on the responsibility and cost of cut down the road hazard.

mark said...

Yes it was good deed done by the city. I just didnt want this tree to fall on a passing car and kill someone then I would be in court with the city fighting over who's tree it was even tho it is on the easement and the city's tree.