Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Art and the city

In just a few moments Christina Cudworth will hopefully join a growing rank of people who will become a more visible site in Smyrna. Activists. People with ideas and a mission. Hers is based upon art and she is addressing the town council tonight. She has given me permission to post here her speaking notes so wish her luck.
My name is Christina Cudworth and I own a local business “Cudworthcreative” that is a service business in where I teach and make custom murals and art. I moved here to Smyrna, and have enjoyed the growth and community here, The only thing I have noticed is a lack of connection with visual art. I know there are art leagues in Murfreesboro and Nashville, but those who live here in Smyrna have to leave and drive a distance for time to work and relax in the realm of art. Which brings me to my desire to start an art league /community art center here in Smyrna.

I plan on having the league family friendly, children, teens, adults and seniors, but not denying artists who paint more than just landscapes.. I am looking to educate, encourage art in the community of Smyrna. I plan on for profit, and membership based, capacity in the community. I also teach art at Jerry's Artarama. I want a strong emphasis about redefining art in Smyrna as being more than just paintings or sculpture. I would even like to have themed rotational art exhibits. New art festivals here and group with others for a large event showcasing art, in all mediums. The only restrictions for the immediate gallery would be nudes or offensive material., the artists are free to explore these areas, but for the sake of children being present members would be asked not to show work depicting such things .

Currently I am seeking a building or meeting place that is visible to the public, and can accommodate 50 or more artists. Any offers or suggestions are welcome. Also a place to host a fundraising event would be very helpful.

I am open to any questions regarding this matter. Thank you for your time I greatly appreciate it.
Art today...Chickens tomorrow...who knows what activist might decide needs addressing the day after.

1 comment:

MacLaren said...

Paintings of chickens?