Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sparks to run

It is now official. Michael Sparks has announced that he is going to run for the 49th state district seat currently held by Kent Coleman.
Commissioner Mike Sparks plans to file papers in the coming days to serve as state representative for District 49. The seat is currently held by state Rep. Kent Coleman, a Democrat, who was elected in 2002.

Sparks was elected to represent county District 11, which covers central Smyrna, in 2002. He defeated then-incumbent Jimmy Woods. A lifelong resident of Smyrna, Sparks said he was approached by the Republican party to run for the state seat that same year.

“I didn’t feel lead to run for it at that time. Since then, I’ve been on the county commission, the Smyrna Municipal Planning Commission and I’ve been a business owner. I feel like I’ve gotten some good experience,” said Sparks, 39. “I feel like now I can bring another conservative voice to the state legislature.”
That leaves Chris Deal as the only contender for Mike Sparks county seat.



House 49

No comments: