Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Look into volunteering

Yesterday was the official last day to apply for a position on one of the many boards, commissions, and committees...but it isn't to late to apply. On the February Town Council workshop Mayor Tony Dover stated that while they had some applications already, the need for more was there and they would take them as they got them.

I try to point out activities that happen around town and places that do good like the food bank or the clothing shop at Wherry Housing. There are a lot of things to do in Smyrna. I'm physically unable to do a lot due to my knees, but try to help others find out about them through this blog.

People talk about how the people have no say in government...but then never go to a town council meeting unless they're upset over some slight. The same people talk about how bad the economy is or how they wish they could help the ones the economy has shafted.

I understand that life is busy. You have jobs, your kids have activities that take up many nights each week, and at the end of the week you wonder where the time flew. That's life...but at the end of the day you have food, a job, several good sets of cloths, and no need to look at free health services from a van. Others are not that lucky.

Take a moment and look into the archives of the blog and see where you could make a difference. Do you feel you could volunteer for a sports league, work in the food bank outside of the holidays, go to the Smyrna Police Citizens Academy and become a volunteer for their alumni group.

Charity and change begins at home. I served 3 years on the Storm Water Advisory board and you might not believe it, but it was fun. I was even vice-chair for one year. This year I have put my name in for a board and hopefully will get it, and if I do I will try to make my community a better place.

At the end of the day isn't that what we all want?

No comments: