Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering 9/11

I remember sitting in my office on 9/11. It was a normal work day, I was there early and had already been quite productive. Not much could prepare me for what was about to unfold.

I knew the instant I heard the first plane had crashed into the twin towers that it was terrorism. What darkness in me could draw such a conclusion so quickly? I'm not sure. I suppose I'm a pessimist. One who thinks the worst. When the receptionist told me what had happened, I immediately told her that it was terrorists. I think she dismissed me until the second plane had struck and after that, we've spoke little on the matter.

That day, each moment that passed was a nervous and anxious moment for me. The confusion and chaos and concern over biological attacks was almost too much to bear. I wanted to be home with my family and clutch them close to me and keep them safe. I was one of those buying the long shelf life groceries and the plastic sheeting and duct tape. Now that I think back I wonder just what the heck I was going to do with all that crap. It harkens back to the 50's and 60's educational films, you know the ones where they instruct you on safety measures that could not possibly save your life?

9/11 can never be forgotten by me. I remember 9/11 every day. I've taken my few moments today in honor of those who died. I wish the families and loved ones that were left behind all the blessings that this life can bring. Use this day as a day of true thankfulness of what you have, who you have and that you have this day to share with friends and family members alike.

No comments: