Saturday, September 2, 2006

Smyrna is growing

Smyrna sure seems to be growing. I see al around major projects going in and land being torn up for the future.

I took a small trip around the Lee Victory, Nissan drive, Sam Ridley parkway loop and got some nice pictures of what is "growing" in our city.



Project one is the giant development across the street from the famous Nissan plant. A super site of stores, shops, and other establishments built to separate you from your money. I call it a free market system in all of its glory. This one is still a bit away.

Oddly enough I could not find a good article to link to with details of this project. My main worry for the site is traffic during the shift change at the plant. The oddly laid out interchange there could make traffic there "fun" during certain times during the day.

Project two is a small business popping up near the laundry/carwash businesses across from Foodlion. I asked one worker but due to a language issue I could not get an answer to what this will become. What I do know is that the building will become another business employing more people.



At site three we have an industrial development going in. With almost a whole block being torn up this one is big.



All I can say with the next two images is FINALLY. When a building goes in a lot of information is studied. Traffic, land, use of facilities. Who ever designed this building, or attempted to figure out daily projected usage, Failed in a grand style. From day one the demand outstripped the ability for the YMCA to deliver a comfortable place to go.

I quickly found that my comfort level was exceeded by the crowds past about 10am. A large child to adult mass has kept me away most of the summer. Even Big Orange Michael was less then impressed with the "Y". I cannot find fault with anything he said.

The first picture is the expansion of the wellness center at site four. Seeing the masses of people, numbers not weight, waiting for a free machine showed early a problem.



This is the other big problem. Circling a lot to find a free spot is not a good way to start a day. This lot expansion is the other major need that needs "fixed".



I have heard talk that another pool is in the works. I hope so. The pool is the third leg of bad planning at this site. Crowding is pretty bad at peek hours. Sadly this may be just rumor. Their website does not list any pool work in it's plans.
We're Growing for You!
A new 3,700 foot Wellness Center nearly doubles our available space
We are expanding our parking lot by 114 spaces
Watch for our New Athletic Field!
Criticism aside. The crowds at the "Y" shows that there was a large need for this service. The service they give is better then traveling to another town. The Towne Center is about the only other option in Smyrna. One advantage that the Y has over the Towne center is a graduated cost based on income. Poverty for my wife and I has its pluses.

Smyrna. Growing one torn up lot at a time.

No comments: