Sunday, July 15, 2007

Being a Girl Scout Leader is...

I want so badly to type FUN, but sometimes it’s more challenging than fun. There are so many good things about leading a troop of young ladies. I find there are a lot of different personalities with the girls - some are standoffish, others crave attention. Some are quiet, others are really loud. However, the common thread with all of them is that Girl Scouting is a way for them to excel, explore, laugh, and grow through opportunities they don’t typically find at home.

Last year I took my troop camping in the FREEZING cold. Oh my those girls whined and complained. But guess where they want to go camping again? We heard coyotes howling, we struggled to build a fire, and once we had one we made wishes with “fairy dust” (dry dairy creamer that flames up when you toss in the fire). Here’s another reason to be a Girl Scout leader. Those girls in my troop, ages 11 to 13, wished for things I would never have guessed. One foster girl wanted to find a family to adopt her. Another girl wanted to see her Daddy before he passed away. One just wished her Daddy would come home. I was part of what felt like a magical night, when I could sit down and hear the girls at such an important time in their lives. It’s a memory I will always cherish.

So why am I writing this? I received an email from our service unit manager who is looking for adult volunteers NOW before we go into the schools for recruitment. Here’s what she asks:
GS’s are needing/recruiting adult volunteers as leader’s. I’d like to
secure, orientate, and train some leaders before we go into the schools for
recruitment this year. Last year we had such a difficult time placing
girls due to lack of adult volunteers/troops. Interested adults can email
me (Roxanne) at zringarox (at) bellsouth (dot) net. (Remove the Z,
please) Or, they could call the Smyrna/LaVergne GS Hotline at
355-8873 to leave a message.

If you’d like to volunteer, please contact Mrs. Roxanne at your first opportunity.

No comments: