Monday, February 2, 2009

Early Gardening Suggestions?

Over the fall and winter, I've prepared plenty of space for planting. I have lots of mulch, good compost and raised beds.

But I'm still a little "iffy" on Smyrna's climate. I know some plants can't stand frosts, and others tolerate them.

Does anyone know when I should start my tomato/pepper/tobacco seedlings indoors?

And are there any crops I can put out this month? I read instructions on the seed packages that say things like "This selection prefers cool weather. Plant as soon as the ground can be worked in the spring..."

But the ground here can be worked almost all winter! Does that mean I can plant peas right now? Or kale? I'd love to get something started, but I really don't know when to start. I imagine March would be the safest... but hey, the ground CAN be worked right now, even as I type this...

I'm sure someone here knows! Thanks for any advice.

7 comments:

Gunner said...

email your co-blogger "village farmer" and get his advice.

David The Good said...

Good thought - thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hey, David. My inlaws usually start potatoes in February. I'm a bit more traditional. I start potatoes on St. Patty's Day. It's sort of my tribute to Ireland. Heh. As long as you keep them mulched, it shouldn't be a problem. If you have a place that is fairly sheltered from north winds, you could try starting some lettuce seed (depending on variety), carrots, bunching onions (scallions), and garden peas. Things that germinate in cooler soils are what you want.

Stay away from things like eggplant, okra, sweet potatoes, and corn, unless you are starting indoors from seed. These seeds are prone to rot in cold soil. You probably shouldn't put them out in the garden until mid-May at the earliest anyway, after hardening off around mid-April...at least, that's how I do it.

David The Good said...

Wow.... I had no idea that potatoes could be planted that early. I would've figured they'd freeze to death.

I think I'll give some lettuce and peas a shot in a couple of weeks. Garlic is the only thing out there right now... I planted that in the Fall and the frosts haven't bothered it.

village farmer said...

Potatoes, carrots(most root crops), peas, onions.The trick is to keep them well composted. When I planted this early I would use about 6 inches of leaf litter. You could use straw instead, but be prepaired for losts of weeds in the spring. I am buried in school work right how, if it was not for that I would I'd offer to help out. You might also concider a cold frame.

Gerry

village farmer said...

Just remember something else, at this time of year when we have cold below freezing for days at a time, I would cover the compost with black plastic. Also I read in the Mother Earth news, back in the 70's that when the seed package says they like cool wheather, that means a soil temp above 60 deg. So expect your plants to have a slow start.

Gerry

David The Good said...

Thanks for the input, Gerry. That's really good to know. I've always wondered about the "cool weather" thing.

Rock on with your school work.