Saturday, February 28, 2009

Transformers: More than Meets the Eye!

In the midst of today's rain a loud explosion ripped through the air.

CrrrraACK-BOOM!!!

My wife spotted flames out our window. A transformer had blown less than a block from us (actually, I think the same location blew apart recently and was repaired) and was happily belching flames into the air, despite the damp weather. Within about two minutes, Smyrna's firefighters were on the scene.



I stepped outside to take a couple of pictures. I was told by one of the gentlemen from the Fire Department that transformers are filled with oil, hence their amazing power to burn... and burn... and burn...



It's probably been close to an hour and it's still on fire. I asked him if they could just drop a box of baking soda in there and be done with it. The firefighter laughed and told me "No, we just watch it and wait for the electric company. They'll let it burn out, then repair it later."

Yes, I know. It's a slow news day.

-DG

No comments: