Monday, June 22, 2009

Maybe they can

I like when people leave comments as it shows that we get one or two readers a day. One comment from earlier this month has stuck with me and I have pondered if I should reply in this manner. What the heck I say. Here goes.

I posted on the town's seeming inability to post online the hot topic Package Liquor Ordinances in draft form so people could view them before the final council vote. I stated the following...
I'm not sure what pisses me off more. The fact that such a simple act as posting draft ordinances online to show respect to the residents of Smyrna is not done, or the fact that I have brought this to their attention several times in my column and here and they still do not do it.
That pretty much sums up my view in a nut shell (where the heck did that saying come from?).

An Anonymous commenter said the following.
...if you put a draft ordinance on the city's website, people take it as gospel. It doesn't matter how many warnings you put up on the page to let them know it's just a draft.
--------
I know Metro puts these types things on their website and I like the way they do it, but THIS ISN'T METRO.
While this is nice in theory the truth is that Smyrna does put online in draft form non-hot topic drafts.

Like this one that is on the website as I type. Two versions of subdividion changes and regulation for people to view before the final vote.



This is a draft ordinance in two different layouts. At 230 pages plus each I feel that ordinance changes of 10 pages could just as easily be placed online.

Smyrna can do it for the business end of the town government, then they should do it for all of the town ordinances and codes changes.

The next part of his comment said this.
It drives me crazy when people compare smaller cities to Metro. They have many more resources and employees than the smaller cities. Of course they are going to have more.
The problem with that is Smyrna does compare itself to other towns so why shouldn't I? Smyrna looks to nearby towns to see what they are doing for guidance...I simply did the same.

Smyrna can and does put online drafts, but they do not post online ordinance drafts such as the package liquor sales and that is a failing in my view.

ignore any grammar errors as my MS word is not working.

2 comments:

Serr8d said...

I've wondered why it's taking so long to finally get a local liquor store up and running? Not that I want to be the first in line or anything, but this process seems to be taking longer than necessary to implement.

Where are the smoke-filled rooms full of jaded codgers leveraging favors to get permits or sell property-line concessions? Why is it that the backroom business-as-usual maneuverings are seemingly stuck in neutral? Do we need a bailout for the greased-palm set?

Meanwhile, various border liquor sellers (and those Monster Warehouse stores in Nashville) continue to do very well thank you.

If a local liquor store is open by Christmas, I'll certainly buy my gift liquors there. Otherwise, well, Frugal MacDoogal, and fighting those crowds...

Unknown said...

My guess is that they don't have the manpower/savvy/desire to post them all.
I sure know I dont have the gift of being able to stay well documented.
If you have the ability, go ahead and add them online here.
I can't imagine they'd ask you to stop.