Thursday, November 19, 2009

I finally got my hotdog

if you have ever seen a street scene of a movie shot in new York you would be hard pressed to miss the pushcart vendors selling hot dogs and other victuals. When I first moved to Smyrna there were several "Taqarias" around town selling massive burritos and other south American cuisine for a good price.

I'm not quiet sure why they went away. I thought they added a bit of variety and color to a pretty'fied white bread town. Life needs spice. Now we are slowly morphing into a franchise hell...but damn don't we look pretty'fied and regulated.

So not long ago when I saw a hotdog stand being set up at the car wash near the Hazzelwood and Old Nashville highway intersection I was overjoyed...and puzzled. The first time I saw it the stand was open, but I was rushed, and then I have never seen it open again. It just seemed to sit there wrapped in a tarp. and gather dust.

Until last weekend.

It was open and we pulled over to give them some business and ask a few questions. It seems they have NO set hours and are run by the same people who run the car wash. A nice Oriental lady sold me a good meaty hot dog and a bottle of water for $1.50. Compared to the $1.39 for the same size water bottle at Krispy Kreme I walked away feeling it was a good deal for a drink and a bite to eat.

So if you see them open drop in and get a good hot dog and say "hi".

No comments: