Thursday, July 28, 2011

We might as well admit it people

Hope is a powerful motivator and it should not be dismissed lightly, but the reality of the situation is harsh and that needs to be viewed openly. I was one of the many people cheering at home when I first heard of the store complex that was in planning for the wooded area to the left of Lowes. This site was going to be anchored by a J.C.Pennys and a Books-A-Million. Those plans like many others have been put on hold due to the economy.

I was filling up gas in front of the Sam Ridley Kroger’s and noticed that out of the stores on the left in the strip malls the future looked bad. I counted 7-8 open sites and 6 closed stores. Almost 50% empty. I had in error assumed that with the old Kroger’s closing down that there would be an increase in loyal customers there assuring success for the area. Sadly this did not happen.

The sad view that day finally made me realize something else. The news has mentioned that the Borders Book warehouse in LaVergne is closing, and the news in general for book stores is not bright. That day I realized that Smyrna might not get a chain bookstore in the near future. With Amazon having an endless supply of books the only real reason to go to a brick-and-mortar bookstore is speed...but few books are needed in such a short time.

I do not see Books-A-Million coming to Smyrna even if the new complex is built. I hope I'm wrong, but facing the facts means that painful truths need to be addressed. What I hope for now is a used bookstore, a small place near the town center full of books with good parking, something that is an issue for our town center. If we as a community care for and patronize such a store it could really take off. A bookstore for adults, esoteric comics for kids and maybe even a children’s area with readings for little ones in conjunction with planned outings from local daycares would make a great store.

If a bookstore opens in Smyrna this site will become a vocal proponent and help them all we can. Books are tactile and fun...yes they have limits, but they require no batteries, they never are in a file format that will get old, and even if you sit on them you will not hurt them as you could a CD-ROM. Books are precious and Smyrna needs a store selling them badly, but the future for a big store looks dim, so we can hope for small and welcoming instead. I know I sure do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a used bookstore in Smyrna - the library!

Seriously, I do think books are going the way of the movie rental stores. Although it's not all bad, I know peopel who weren't "readers" in the past, but love reading on their kindles and nooks.

Gunner said...

Sadly the library will not let me keep the books that I classify as 'keepers'. I normally get them in hardback and some I even get a plastic coat to protect the cover sheet.

Michael Hickerson said...

The one thing Smyrna lacks is some kind of bookstore. But I find it less likely one will come our way in the near future.

Maybe McKays should expand to a Smyrna location?!?