Thursday, July 19, 2012

My view on the 37th state house district.



I’ve been a very bad boy and I’m so glad that Dawn White has put me in my place. Dawn White is running for office for the newly created 37th state house district in Rutherford County. To make it to “the final two” she has to beat her challenger Richard Garvin in the Republican Primary in August.

As all campaigns go there are the random slings and arrows shot at each other making claims and attempts to bolster their own views on certain subjects. For the most part this would have not gotten much media play except Richard Garvin made a request/challenge. He openly asked her to meet and they would have a public debate. Now on the surface this sounds simple and straight forward, but Dawn Whites’ reaction made it news worthy. She not only declined, but she stated that “To learn about a candidate, voters should not have to attend a staged event where they will only hear rehearsed political rhetoric and canned answers. “…so no debate.

The problem is that she is having events, and you can hear about them afterwards. She posts about them on her facebook such as “Enjoyed attending CASA of Rutherford County's event tonight”…sadly I’m not in CASA….or “Two great events tonight! It was wonderful to see friends and supporters out and about”…not sure what those are….”Great fundraiser this evening with business leaders and current legislators.”…I guess just poor tax payers like myself were not invited.  If you go to her web page at VOTEDAWN.COM you will find her event calendar totally bare. Why have it if you’re not going to use it.
Her outreach to the voters has been totally lacking outside of comments of going door-to-door, but what her views are seems more based upon how she views Richard Garvin’s.

Then today something funny happened. I found that if you question her you get in trouble….seriously! Her FaceBook page is the only real source of what she is doing and not doing. I decided to try to ask her some questions. In the middle of June I asked her a question about her comments on Richard and if she would have any open events for regular voters. I cannot quote them as they have been removed….without being answered. I found this out when I went to her page and noticed that I had been “unliked”, banned from commenting, and had my comments removed. What!

Now I wondered if I was the only one or if she had closed comments for all, so I asked an acquaintance to check it out. This person is still allowed to comment, but they mentioned something to me that really defines her campaign. Mayor Senna Mosley of Lavergne told my friend that “For some reason they think you are very tight with Garvin? I told her you were a wonderful person and very into politics. Garvin has pulled some very odd tricks on her and they are very careful”. My friend said that ”She told them who I am and that I'm legit. Surprisingly I've not been banned”

I’m not sure what it says about a campaign, or the candidate, that anyone who asks questions is banned, unliked, viewed as some sort of odd dirty trick from the opposition, but it does do one thing for me. It does show how they likely would run their office and how they would interact with their constituents. Dawn Whites campaign has gone full paranoid, does not try to reach out to the voters to answer questions, even seemingly avoiding them by leaving them in the dark, and is undeserving of representing our county.

No comments: