Thursday, December 14, 2006

Another one falls

10%. That's what I am willing to pay to help support a small business. If I can get item A at Walmart for $1, and an equal product is available at a small business for $1.10, I likely will go there. Nothing against the big box stores, but I really want a small business to succeed.

Earlier this year a small vegetable market closed down. Likely no reader here noticed it. Smyrna vegetable Market was located across the street from Big Lots. Hidden in the strip mall as the tattoo shop and sub shop. It was run by a soft spoken immigrant to this country.

Maybe that store was a small part of his American Dream. The business of America is business. The store's goods were mainly aimed at the newer citizens of Smyrna, but the vegetables were for any culture. I found the service there very friendly. His special orders of banana peppers and extra Jalopenas helped me prep for my summers canning.

Sadly I knew his stores time was short. Outside of a few occasions, I was the only one there when shopping. No business means no profit. Near the beginning of the summer I went by to buy some needed onions. I was welcomed by an empty store. Not surprised, but very saddened.

Yesterday I noticed another new business closed down. Right next to Smyrna Video, on Hazelwood Drive, was a shop that sold medical "scrubs" and uniforms. The inside is now hollowed out and being refurbished for another "new" business.

I have been so impressed that the bloggers in the Middle Tennessee area have really put their support behind one of our own, and his good BBQ.

What I would like to do is highlight a new "small" business in Smyrna each week or so for the readers of this blog. Then you can drop by, give it a once over, and maybe you will find a new place to do business.

If you want a business mentioned, drop me a note. I'll be starting with a business this weekend.

No comments: