Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Smyrna Police. Do not read this

In the last town hall meeting the subject of gas usage by the police department was discussed. Seems a lot of the electronics in a police car require the engine to be running for them to.

I hope no officers read this and suggest this to Chief Arnold.
The surging price of gasoline has come to this: a "fuel surcharge" on your next speeding ticket.

Drivers caught speeding in this north Atlanta suburb soon will have to pay an extra $12 — to cover $4-a-gallon gas costs for the police officers who stop them.

The City Council passed the fee hike, effective July 1, to offset fuel prices that have eaten up nearly 60% of the police department's 2008 fuel budget, Police Chief Ken Ball says.

He expects the fee increase, which applies to all moving violations and can be rescinded if gas prices fall below $3 a gallon, to generate $19,500 to $26,000 a year for the town of 7,700.
I know that I have cut back on travel due to the price of gas. I have not gone to M'boro in a few weeks due to the beast's(my 79 Suburban 3/4 ton truck) consumption of fuel.

3 comments:

Serr8d said...

I fear an uptick[et] in enforcement to cover the budget deficit. More tickets, less warnings.

Dickson, of course, is doubling up officers in cruisers to combat their budget woes.

I guess the traffic-light cameras in M'boro are just-in-time.

I fear more fuel thievery. I remember from the '70's the great siphon craze, and even desperate types who would knock holes in gas tanks and drain the contents into pans. Guess what? Yep, that's back!

Gunner said...

Tickets here go to the general fund I think. I'll check on that.

Smyrna has a surplus so no budget woe, but next year might be different if this recession/depression lasts.

My truck has a 31 gallon tank so my wife has already talked of getting a locking cap. Not a sure way to protect your gas, but better then nothing.

MacLaren said...

It'll be interesting to see if things stay in a surplus, for sure.

And despite its fuel inefficiency, your truck is a hunk of classic awesomeness. I love those solid old trucks.

I used to have a '64 F-100.