Thursday, July 17, 2008

From the oddest places.

I feel that if a problem exists then the first thing you should do is overcome the feeling that the government should fix it. In many ways going to the government can complicate the problem. I came across a short few lines in an article that might be of interest to you, and fits in nicely with my view that people should try first to fix things.

Many neighborhoods feel that "young whipper snappers" drive to fast on their street, and endanger the local youth. Likely they are. Outside of having a officer parked their 24 hours a day the police can not do that much. Why not try to get the government to allow you to do something?

An article about this kid with his speed gun ended with these words.
Officials say the city will install speed bumps in the neighborhood if 70 percent of residents agree and are willing to put up half the money.
Sounds great to me...but why stop there? If you can use the "good neighbor" approach that the town government here in Smyrna did not like with my poultry, and get 70 percent to agree, and you put up 100% of the money, then why not. I say 100% so you would not be spending other peoples tax money.

In most of these cases the road is not a major road, and slowing down would be nice. Heck people. Have a block party to fund it.

Of course you will have to ask the gov for permission, but swallow that bitter pill and do it the good neighbor way (minus poultry).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having speed bumps in the middle of any street sounds like a bad idea to me. True people are speeding through there, but forcing the people who aren't to have to slow way down for the speed bumps is kinda sucky.

But then, that's the way life is, I suppose. A few dumb asses mess it all up for the rest of us.

Amber said...

We have speeders here. MPH is 30. People ALWAYS go over that. I have only seen a cop bust two people since living here for 2 1/2 years. There is one person in particular that I want caught. One lonely Ninja bike rider who thinks its fun to go as fast as you can from one stop sign to the next. Of course he reaches top speed right about our house. Even though I am outside with my kids, I still worry about them in the front yard.