Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Let's get ready to rumble.

The fight has been scheduled and the sides will soon start squaring off for a rematch on the lost battle two years ago. The issue is liquor sales and it is here again.
More than enough signatures have been collected to place a referendum regarding package stores on the town's Nov. 4 ballot.

Hooper Penuel, the county's election administrator, confirmed recently that Lee Nettles of College Grove and Tommy Tolleson of Memphis gathered 966 valid signatures to give voters the option of whether wine and spirit stores will be allowed within town limits. Penuel said the petition will be presented to the election commission at its Aug. 18 meeting for approval.
The rhetoric has started in the comments on the article. I like this one.
Do you know what you get with liquor stores? Che/ck/ Cas/hi/ng stores and discount tobacco stores. Those things don't come with restaurants that serve alcohol.
Too easy. Let's just say that my column this week addresses the issue and my view on it. I likely will irritate some...but when has that stopped me.

EDIT:
I added some slashes to a word in a quote to stop robots from spamming comments.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be voting yes on the Smyrna liquor referendum -- and I didn't live in Smyrna in 2006. Hopefully this time around common sense will prevail and the city will quit losing sales tax money to LaVergne, Murfreesboro, etc.

Unknown said...

I'll be voting YES for sure. I can't believe that people think just because there aren't any liquor stores in town, people don't buy alcohol. I for one am tired of seeing our tax money go to M'boro & LaVergne. Both towns support liquor stores and don't seem to be affected with all the supposed negative elements the that opponents of this referendum. I say to the "NO" people..grow up and get a clue...this is 2008