Sunday, October 26, 2008

I don't have two heads...honest!

Earlier this year I went in front of the town council and asked for them to review my idea of a good neighbor fowl program. let's say I was looked at like a two headed freak. I was VERY disappointed in how the subject was addressed by the administration of the town.

In comments and in posts(item 6) by OTHERS on this blog the idea lives on. This article I found from the Christian Science Monitor addresses the idea that some people just go ahead and do it be damned the laws, and some have a town council that looks openly at the subject and agrees that it isn't an idea that will destroy a town.
The Worldwatch Institute reports that a growing number of US city-dwellers are raising their own chickens, often in defiance of local ordinances.

Citing unsanctioned henhouses in Denver, Boston, and other cities, Worldwatch’s Ben Block notes that an “underground ‘urban chicken’ movement has swept across the United States in recent years,” flouting authorities’ concerns about noise, odors, and public health.

But in some cities, such as Ann Arbor, Mich., Ft. Collins, Colo., South Portland, Maine, and Madison, Wisc., owners of these clandestine coops have successfully changed the laws to allow them to keep a limited number of hens. (Roosters, whose characteristic crowing can disturb neighbors, are usually more restricted, but they’re not needed for hens to lay unfertilized eggs.)
Take a moment and read just a few of the comments to the article.

I don't have two heads and damned if I feel that if I can be a good neighbor then why the heck is the town government involved? I live in a town where we have already been judged as doing it wrong before we even try.

Smyrna. Where you're a bad neighbor before you even start...

more from Worldwatch.org

2 comments:

David The Good said...

Cool info. I've been seeing a trend towards allowing more homesteading and garden-friendly allowances in the city. Maybe as things get tougher economically, it will become more acceptable. Having some chickens would certainly be a big help for our family. And I'd be happy to share eggs with the neighbors!

I wouldn't feel comfortable raising chickens outside of codes, but perhaps the codes may loosen for us soon.

GerryH said...

Hey Gunner and David, in Nashville, if a group of citizens want to see a change in codes they seek out a coucil member who will sponsor a referendum to be voted on by the people. Is this something we might want to look into?