Friday, March 5, 2010

Just Hours left

The clock is ticking down to the deadline to apply for town boards, commissions and committees. I hope that some of you have thought on the issue and are wanting to make the leap into this level of community involvement.

There is a little issue on the deadline on the date. While the PDF form say the deadline is March 3rd, Mark O'Neal stated in the February town workshop that they would take them up till Friday March 5th...TODAY.

I just dropped mine off and I applied for a different committee than I have been on. I have served 3 years on the Storm Water Advisory Committee and have had a ball learning about the water ways and issues with our town. While I still have a year left on my second two years I have decided to apply for the town planning commission.

Planning Commission – The Planning Commission reviews all development plans, annexation and rezoning requests. The Commission makes reports and recommendations relating to the planning and development of the Town. The Board consists of seven (7) members, all citizens of Smyrna. Six of those members are appointed by the Mayor; the seventh is a member of the Town Council, appointed by the Council. Term of service is two (2) years.
Mayor Tony Dover informed me that Ed Davenport and Sam Coleman were at the end of their two year term of service, and while it is not known if one or both will ask to be kept on, I figured it was time for me to step up and apply. I have decided that I need to get more involved and I hope this is the right direction.

My wife and I have talked on the issue at length we feel this is the right thing to do. While that sounds ominous you need to understand that because of my column there would be a possible conflict of interest because of the subjects that I write about the the issues in front of the commission and the odds are I would need to step back from the column totally or mostly. Wish me luck.

If you're in a rush you can even just drive up to the window and drop your easy to fill out form off to the nice person and have them give it to Ms. Peppers.

1 comment:

David The Good said...

I was going to throw my hat into the ring and sign up for the Historic Neighborhood Board but missed the March 3rd deadline. Wish I'd seen this column earlier.

Good luck. I hope you get in.