Friday, November 14, 2008

Volunteer in our community

Smyrna is a great town and I want it to be better. I decided a few years ago to get involved and it has truly been fun.

One of the ways I have become involved is to volunteer to serve on a couple of town committees. I have served a one year term on the Board of Adjustments and Appeals and am into my second year for the Storm water Advisory Committee.

There is a whole list of committees and boards you can serve on.

I'm bringing this up now because they pick the members in March...Just 4 months away.
NOTE: Board and Committee terms of office usually begin April 1. Most meet once a month, unless otherwise specified, and are open to the public. Members do not receive compensation for service on Town of Smyrna Boards and Committees.

To recognize, promote and strengthen the sense of community, diversity and multiculturalism, all Smyrna residents are invited to get involved.
This would allow you to go and view as a guest observer a meeting or two of a committee you might be interested in. Yes. I'm asking you to think about stepping forward and volunteering to serve on a committee.

I feel the readers of 'This is Smyrna' can make a difference. We don't talk about Brittney Spears or other flighty subjects. We deal with the people and places of our community. If you're a regular reader that means the community interests you more then "when does cornflakes go on sale at Food Lion?". Take the next step past 'interest' into 'involvement'.

It's an idea to think about.

No comments: