Tuesday, October 2, 2007

What does your meta tag say about you?

I tried something over the last week and it has had a very positive effect on this blog. I changed my meta tags.

In your templete you may have some coding like this.
#title##$BlogPageTitle$##/title#
#meta name="keywords" content="#$BlogTitle$#" /#
#meta name="description" content="#$BlogTitle$# - #$BlogDescription$#" /#
I changed the "<" and ">" symbols to # for ease of viewing.

I noticed our meta tags were still in the default setting as this shows. I then changed them to read this after a little research.
#title#This is Smyrna, TN.#/title#
#meta name="keywords" content="This is Smyrna, TN." /#
#meta name="description" content="This is Smyrna, TN. - This is Smyrna, Smyrna, Tennessee, blog, city government, Rutherford county" /#
In the last week This is Smyrna, Tn. has moved from 8th to 4th position when you Google "Smyrna Tn", and from 7th to 3rd position when you Google "Smyrna Tennessee".

A few small changes to a default setting can change your search engine ranking big time.

Google has a whole tutorial on how to effect changes, or even add meta tags, to your webpage.

No comments: