Sunday, October 11, 2009

MASJID MAHMOOD - SMYRNA , TENNESSEE

I was looking on FLICKR for any pictures that people might have posted from Depot Day. I found instead this image. It seems that Smyrna might have a Mosque within its borders. I'm surprised at the image because this is the old church my wife and I used to purchase our angel food ministries food order from.

We had noticed that several months ago they were not listed anymore as a pickup site and figured they had simply dropped it. Looks like instead they might have closed down the congregation or moved to a larger building.

The church is also listed as a mosque in a national list of mosques.


A little bio on the mosque says this.
Ahmadiyya Mosque Nashville opened its door on July 31st with Friday prayers. Following day, on August 1st. the monthly meeting was held in the mosque. Almost all members attended this meeting. Children made excellent presentations about the new mosque.
The mosque is located in the city of Smyrna. Total land is 0.8 acres. Total covered area of the building is 6,250 square feet. there are 29 parking places with the building.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, that's cool. Where's this place at? I don't recognize it.

I hope they didn't keep it quiet because they were afraid the community would react poorly to them.

I also hope the community really wouldn't react poorly to them.

Matt Bennett said...

It's on the corner of Maple and Sam Davis.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Smyrna,+TN&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=33.214763,78.310547&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Smyrna,+Rutherford,+Tennessee&ll=35.983511,-86.517034&spn=0.002071,0.00478&t=h&z=18

Anonymous said...

Finally a mosque in Smyrna! I'm excited! I hope we are welcomed by the community...