Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Our chicken movement

Two things happened today that have made me think, “What else can be done to bring chickens back to Smyrna”? The first of these was an article in Tuesdays Tennessean that I found this morning. The story was by Jenny Upchurch entitled “Urban chicken coops spark zoning conflict”(http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090804/NEWS01/908040334/-1/RSS05). The story is about the efforts to pass laws to ban or permit chickens in Nashville. I hope the Metro council moves to up hold property rights and allow chickens. The second was an e-mail from a neighbor here in Smyrna asking what she could do to help in our efforts to get our town council to pass codes to allow chickens back into Smyrna.
I have not done much in this effort, my excuse was that I work two jobs and attend school full time. Well I am out of school how and wish to do more. To this end I have contacted the Historic Smyrna people to see about setting up an informational booth at this years Depot Days (Oct 10th) and have contacted a number of groups for permission to use their pamphlets at the booth. I have sent an e-mail to Food Security Partners (mentioned in the Tennessean article) for advice on what else to do. I have also asked the neighbor who contacted me if she would develop a petition asking the council to pass the laws needed to allow chicken back in to Smyrna, for people visiting the booth to sign. And finally I have started preparing a display for the booth. This consists of a chicken tractor with several of my wife’s fancy chickens and displays supporting urban farming and sustainability.
How I need to ask “What else can be done”? So I’m asking those concerned with the effort to bring chickens back to Smyrna, should we arrange to meet and talk about this? How far are we willing to go with this issue?
I believe the time to push for this is how. With concern over the quality of our foods and the economy the way it is people are looking to produce their foods. Also with the Mayor resigning, I am thinking that our council will be more open to the idea of the urban chicken. So what say ye all?

3 comments:

Gunner said...

I'm all for it. I received a nice email today from a reader who asked what she could do to help also. Might be the same one.

I'm up to manning the booth some and I have a nice canopy to keep the sun blocked.

David The Good said...

Godspeed! I'll volunteer!

village farmer said...

Thanks guys, help in the booth will be a great help. Where to get a canopy was a big concern of mine,so the use of yours, Gunner, is more than welcome. I will be with the booth all day(a condition my wife put on me inorder to display her chickens). I'm how waiting to hear from the Depot Days organizers, I am resonable certain I can cover the fee.