Friday, August 7, 2009

My Huge Organic Smyrnian Garden

When I first moved to my little house in Smyrna, I did my darndest to grow a few things. I had only a tiny bit of luck. Having grown up in South Florida, I was used to sand... not clay and chunks of rock.

Now, a few years and lots of free organic amendments later... check it out!

I have at least a hundred varieties of plants growing in the yard now. And plenty of food.

This week's project: two gallons of traditional brine-fermented pickles with my homegrown cukes.

Here are a few images from the backyard:





I'd say my garden this year is about 2000 square feet. Wish that empty lot in the "historic" downtown could be used for a community garden for the folks that don't have any space - that would rock.

Of course... now all I need is a few hens...

-DG

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come to La Vergne and watch my neighbors... their chickens go AWOL at least once a day...

David The Good said...

My neighbors dogs do the same thing. And cats! Who can keep a cat in the yard? Impossible!

village farmer said...

A work of art, I just love a good garden. Chickens would be a plus if you can keep they away from your veggies. I got a late start this year because of school, so just a fall crop for me this year.

David The Good said...

I have a spot for chickens all picked out... just need approval.

And yeah - I really love a good garden too. It's like walking around in Eden. Though it takes a lot more work, I'm sure. And if my wife and I went naked... well... I'm sure there's an ordinance against that somewhere on the books...

Okay, enough of that!

I planted beets and cabbages for Fall. What are you growing?

village farmer said...

Corn, Cabbage, Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli, Cauliflower, potatoes, beets, and pumpkin. I’ve also been nursing some cantaloupe which, if I can keep the raccoons off, should produce a number of good melons.

village farmer said...

Just thought you might care to know that a bill has been introduced in congress to provide grant momey to offset as much as 80% of the cost of a community garden.

http://www.cityfarmer.info/congressman-jay-inslee-d-wash-introduces-the-community-gardens-act-of-2009/

Unknown said...

A Community Garden would be great! I grow a small raised bed garden because the soil is so horrible around here. The square-foot garden method is the best I've found yet and it yields huge results. 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 blended compost, 1/3 vermiculite. Blend it all together and you'll get a hassle free (small) garden.