Monday, January 22, 2007

28 screens in Smyrna?

Over the weekend, I saw a poll on the DNJ web site, wondering if Smyrna can support 28 movie screens. The poll was fairly evenly divided when I saw it, though the "no" vote was slightly ahead (about 53% to 47%).

I'm glad to see Smyrna getting this abundance of movie theaters. I'm not sure having them in such close proximity to each other is going to be a help or a hinderance in the long run, but at least we'll have plenty of options.

That said, I hope that the new theaters mean we'll have plenty of options. Now, don't get me wrong, I love a good blockbuster as much as the next person and I am counting down days to Spider-Man 3. That said, I hope the abundnace of screens will mean some of the smaller films will get a longer run. For example, I planned to take in Children of Men this coming weekend in Murfreesboro, only to find it will be leaving the Murfreesboro theater after this Thursday, after an incredible two-week run locally.

I'm sure the movie will continue at other theaters in the area, but I'm lazy and I would like to keep the revenue in Rutherford County if I can.

So, I hope the abundance of screens will mean longer runs of movies and not just more screens filled with the latest teen slasher flicks.

No comments: