Wednesday, January 24, 2007

a night on the strip

All or nothing seems to be the two choices when it comes to the light at the intersection of Sam Ridley and Motlow College Dr.. Either the city pays for a light and road change, or nothing gets done.

In the words of the great Sesame Street voice narrator. The word for today is compromise.

I showed up to the Y last night at a bit before 4pm. A short time later I saw the remains of the 4:05pm accident out of the window from the pool. As there were 7(I counted) cars in the middle when I tried to make it through that intersection, I wasn't surprised that one occurred so quickly.

After I left yesterday a question came to me as I passed Toot's, just a few hundred yards down the road from the Y. Why does Toot's get a turn lane when Motlow College drive doesn't? How much would adding two turn lanes at that intersection cost?

I contacted Mr. O'Neal about the cost of a light at that intersection a week ago and he replied.
It is estimated that the cost would be $200,000 +/-
I did not even think of asking how much adding turn lanes would cost.

It is the crowding in the middle that is the danger. Turn lanes would handle that issue well enough by themselves. This could be the compromise that would protect the 3000 YMCA members, and 1000 Motlow college students.

If Toot's is good enough for a turn lane, why not the Y?

No comments: