Friday, August 29, 2008

A little feedback please.

I received an email from the little used email link at the top right of the blog here with a request.
I have recently moved to the Smyrna area from Murfreesboro and I’m currently in the process with a friend of mine of obtaining a Federal Firearms License to start a gun business in the area. Most of our initial business will be online, but as we grow and expand we’d like to open a shooting range, similar to OnTarget in Murfreesboro or Gun City in Nashville. I’m still in the process of checking local laws on noise ordinance and condition of use, but I was wondering if you would mind helping us determine the level of interest in a range in the Smyrna area via the Smyrna blog. Thanks in advance, and I do dig the site. J
Now I for one am jumping with glee. The two nearest ranges are On Target in Murfreesboro, nice clean, but a bit costly, and the government run one on Hopson Pike, nice, outdoors, but a bit rigid and a little bit of a trip.

The idea of a range here in Smyrna really sets well with me and my gun-nuttery.

If there was a range in town what is your interest in going?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Yes, Yes! Absolutely! Our family would be interested, and frequent such an establishment. Our children shoot, competively. Smyrna High, and Smyrna Middle have trap shooting teams, and although this business probably would not accomodate such a sport....the families of most team-mates are gun enthusiast. I vote YES, and know many more that would do the same. Go for it!

Gunner said...

I went to one of the trap practices down south of Murfreesboro once. A bit of a trip. A range would be real welcome from some in town.

David The Good said...

I'd go for the guns. I tend to go shooting in the country, however, so not sure about using the range.

I also need to get permitted for concealed carry, and if they had classes - great!

Amber said...

My Husband about jumped out of his pants when he heard this. He HATES driving to Murfreesboro and would LOVE to see a range here. He is actually wanting to purchase his first fire arm shortly before next year rolls around. He needs to get practice, so a Local target range would be awesome!

Serr8d said...

I would strongly support an alternative to that (yes, you're right, costly) venue in Murfreesboro, and the rigid government-run facility on the lake (NTTAWWT, but the idea of having to submit to those up-your-bore inspections, and the subsequent near-Nazified feel to what should be an easy, calm range experience is off-putting at best).

I recommend, if possible, a combination outdoor and indoor range, if possible. As an Arizona native, shooting in the open desert much spoiled me; indoor shooting is never pleasant.

An ACTS chapter here would be awesome.

Anonymous said...

My Father's father had over 400 acres of land in Perry County. My DAD took me squirrel hunting when I was 9 and taught me to use an antique single shot 22 rifle. Good times. I would LOVE to take my son to a firing range and teach him to shoot that same VERY OLD single shot 22 rifle with my dad who is now retired. It would be a GREAT experience. One to treasure. So, YES, I would be in favor of a place where present and past generations could meet and pass on old (and new) traditions.

netmindr said...

I agree that we need a range here in Smyrna. The idea of the combination or purely outdoor range would be ideal especially with the ability to shoot shotguns there. The TWRA facility doesn't allow shotguns at all and supposedly, due to some city ordinance, you cannot shoot shotgun or centerfire rifle at OnTarget on Sundays. Plus it's unpleasant at best to fire either one indoors. The TWRA range is cheap enough but only open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

I'm behind you 100%. Hopefully you can take the suggestions posted here and make it better than either of the other 2 local options.